The Special Educational Needs and Disability coordinator (SENDCo) in school is Miss Moriarty. If you require any information or support, please contact Miss Moriarty on the school number, 01772 422431.
At St. Mary’s, we strive to provide high quality education which is inclusive for all. All children and young people are entitled to an education that enables them to
- achieve their best
- become confident individuals living fulfilling lives, and
- make a successful transition into adulthood, whether that be into employment, further/higher education or training. (Code of Practice 2014)
We use our best endeavours to identify the needs of children early, to work with parents and to out the correct support in place. This sometimes means working closely with other agencies to plan the provision which is best suited to our children and their needs.
According to the Code of Practice,
‘A child had special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.
A child has a learning difficulty if they,
- have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children at the same age
- have a disability which either prevents or hinders the child from making use of the educational facilities of a kind provided for children of the same age in schools within the area of the local education authority
- in under compulsory school age and falls within the above definitions or would do if special educational provision was not made for the child.